Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 15 - Daily Draw

I received a package in the mail today, and just had to dig out my Cary-Yale Visconti Tarot to play with my new Visconti Lenormand!  The Cary-Yale Visconti Tarot is a (huge!) reproduction of a fifteenth-century deck, published by US Games.  It's absolutely beautiful, the lovely gold highlights are still clearly evident.

I'm not quite ready yet to dive into the world of reading pips from the old historic decks, so I chose to do my daily draw from among the Major Arcana. I drew Strength and Death, an interesting combination.  Unlike many other tarot decks at the time, which featured Hercules subduing a lion - quite forcefully - as their representation of strength, the Cary-Yale has the now-familiar motif of a woman holding open the jaws of a lion.  I've always seen this to represent both courage, and inner strength.  Death is also pictured in a quite traditional way, riding his horse with a scythe, and trampling over all classes and kinds of people.  I often read this as an ending, as many do; but these decks which so obviously feature such a variety of people falling to Death I sometimes picture as referring to the 'common denominator' in all of us, the great leveler that shows us we are all truly the same, subject to the same wants, concerns, and ultimately death.  What this says for my day is that I must have strength in the face of something ending; presumably something I'd rather keep around.

My Lenormand draw for today is done with the stunning Visconti Lenormand, a self-published deck available through theGamecrafter.com.  From what I can tell, it replicates the background of the Cary-Yale Visconti cards, and juxtaposes them with art from other paintings at the time to make a beautiful Lenormand deck.  I drew Mountain + Tree + Child.  The Mountain describes obstacles and delays, while the Tree can speak to both health issues and can refer to a long time span.  The Child, as you might guess, refers to a young person or innocence.  This one is fairly obvious to me - my oldest child went to get a cavity filled today, and she's having quite the time with it.  This tells me that her healing will take longer than anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment