Thursday, October 11, 2012

October 11 - Daily Draw and Observations (spanish style)

For the last of my Spanish-style daily draws, I'll be using the Thomson-Leng Tarot.  Not strictly in the Spanish school, as three of the four suits are illustrated RWS-style, but it does follow Picard's elemental attributions and the suit of Wands follows his geometric layouts.

I drew the Four of Cups, the Eight of Cups, and the King of Rods (wands).  The Four of Cups illustration has its typical RWS connotations; dreaminess, willful ignorance, but with an Airy, intellectual quality.  I like to think of it as the absent-minded professor card.  That's been me lately: diving in and out of Tarot books, spending time with my decks, and forgetting about most everything else!  The Eight of Cups is less traditional; the landscape remains the same but the only person pictured is staring at the cups in the riverbed rather than traveling away from them.  Picard's interpretation is balance and reason.  I ought to be trying for a bit more balance in my life at the moment!  The King of Rods represents genius, or great talent; it seems to be saying that I'll have more luck with the tarot if I put down some books for a bit and get myself involved in life.

I used Pixie's Astounding Lenormand for my Lenormand pair.  Clover + Garden seems to say that I'll have good luck or fun at a social event; I'll be heading out this evening, so hopefully that holds true!

After spending some time with Eudes Picard-inspired tarots, I've come to see and appreciate a few things about them.  I believe they're intended, and represented faithfully in the El Gran Tarot Esoterico and Universal Wirth Tarot, to be a more 'natural' tarot, sort of an offshoot of the Marseilles vine and flower decorative elements.  The Minors are the 'effects', as Picard says in his book Manuel synthétique & pratique du tarot, and they are also intrinsically connected to the world, especially the natural world, around us.  I really appreciate this interpretation of the Tarot, and I hope to revisit Picard's designs again in another series.

No comments:

Post a Comment