Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1 - Daily Draw (spanish style)

Whew!  It's been a busy week!  I've been finishing up another deck to send off to the printers for a sample, and also waiting (impatiently!) to receive the first for-the-public copies of the Lasenic Tarot so I can start shipping them out to their future owners.  During my week-long haitus from actually reading Tarot, I've decided to take this next week to dip my toes in the Spanish school of Tarot.

It's a fascinating subject.  Apparently begun by the frenchman Eudes Picard in his 1909 book Manuel synthétique & pratique du tarot, I'm not sure how this system made its way to Spain and became incorporated in so many Spanish decks.  This school of Tarot thought has a lot of interesting changes.  The Majors follow the Wirth sequence of Hebrew-letter correspondences, though I must admit I know little enough about the Qabbalah that the significance of that is over my head.  The most interesting change is the switching of elements: swords become watery, and cups take on the qualities of air.  I can certainly see this change: emotions are well known to cut like swords.  The Cups/Air association is a bit harder for me to fathom, however.  Picard believes that the Major Arcana represents the causes, and the Minor Arcana the effects.

For today's draw I've used the Crystal Tarot, illustrated by Elisabetta Trevisan and published by Lo Scarabeo.  The art in this deck is absolutely fantastic - I'm not sure what to compare it to artistically, except for perhaps stained glass windows; they just have a shining, ethereal presence, as if they're lit from behind.  Absolutely stunning.

I drew the Wheel of Fortune, the Seven of Wands, and the Two of Wands.  The Wheel represents the Cause according to this method of reading, which seems to be saying that my day today is rather out of my control, and will go according to the dictates of Fate.  The Seven of Wands in this system represents the victory of mind over matter, or invention.  The Two signifies cooperation, or an alliance.  This seems to be saying that Fate is pushing me towards a partnership or alliance that will help bring my creative and inventive dreams to reality: perhaps a new publisher that will be a bit more on the ball with things, or maybe my husband will give me an opportunity to ask him about drawing a few cards for another upcoming project.

For my Lenormand pair, I've used Lo Scarabeo's Art Nouveau Oracle, titled generically though it is a Lenormand oracle.  I find it at once very beautiful and a bit silly: the artwork is amazing, but many of the cards feature very large beautiful women, while the symbol of the card is very small and unnoticeable by comparison.  You can see that in the picture of the Key above, and I'd say it affects about a third of the cards in this deck.  They are still quite lovely, however; and because Lenormand is not as intuition-heavy or picture-centric as Tarot is, I find the deck to still be quite useable - unlike the Art Nouveau Tarot, which suffers from the same complaints and is unusable for me.

The pair today is the Key + Path.  I see this as a moment of inspiration or flash of understanding that will prompt me to make a decision I had previously been unable figure out.

I'm really liking this Spanish school of Tarot so far!  I have a few more pretty decks that I would love to bring out that follow this system, so stay tuned this week to learn more about Eudes Picard's way of reading the Tarot.

No comments:

Post a Comment