Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 16 - Daily Draw (Etteilla)

I chose a pink theme today, because it just seemed to fit so well with the name of the deck I'm using today: originally titled the Jeu de la Princesse Tarot in 1843, it's now available (though unfortunately out of print) from Lo Scarabeo as the Esoteric Ancient Tarot.  It is, apparently, a subtype of the Etteilla I but with artwork of a more Egyptian flavor.

I drew the Magician, the Six of Cups, and the Ten of Swords reversed.  The keywords are 'melancholy', 'the past', and 'short-term success'.  It's so interesting to me how alike some of these meanings are to the RWS images - Arthur and Pamela, despite having a less-than-stellar opinion of Etteilla, sure borrowed a lot!  Despite a pretty obvious difference in style from modern Tarot, many of the meanings themselves are not out of place.  These cards seem to say: in the past, you may have felt discouraged, but things are looking up in the near future!

For my Lenormand pair I got out my Blue Owl Lenormand.  I want to like this deck; it was one of the first I purchased to help me learn the Lenormand system.  I thought the little poems would be helpful reminders of the meanings of the cards.  Unfortunately, though they are cute, the translated English poems often have little to do with the meanings of the cards as I've read them elsewhere; and I have to consciously ignore them in order to make any sense of the cards.  The Stork + Tree tells of an improvement in health; I have been working steadily on an exercise program since my last baby was born, this seems to say that my work is worth it and I'll keep making progress!  It's always nice to hear that your work will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment