Friday, October 12, 2012

October 12 - Daily Draw (Etteilla!)

I had so much fun with Eudes Picard the last few weeks, that I have become interested in reading with all my early occult Tarots!  And of course, if I'm interested in reading with occult Tarot, it's probably best to start at the beginning - the Etteillas.

There's several different versions of these decks, each more or less following the occult ideas and cartomantic interpretations of Jean-Baptiste Alliette, a Frenchman and rumoured hairdresser from the mid-18th century. He published Etteilla, or a Way to Entertain Yourself with a Deck of Cards in 1770, and the Tarot hasn't been the same since.

The version I chose today is a lovely reproduction by Lo Scarabeo, of what is called the Type III Etteilla deck: originally named Tarot Egyptien: Grand Jeu de l'Oracle des Dames, it is now published as The Book of Thoth Etteilla Tarot.  It was originally published in 1865, many years after Etteilla's death.  It's illustrated in a very nice Neo-Gothic style that whispers gently of old gypsies laden with softly jangling bracelets.  I cannot tell you how much I love this tarot stylistically - but up until now I haven't read with it!  The Majors are all renamed and reordered according to Etteilla's vision, and there are keywords influenced by his ideas on the tops and bottoms of the cards.  I don't usually use reversals, but as these decks are meant to be read with them, I changed up my shuffling pattern a bit to turn some cards around.

I drew 'Prudence' - apparently Etteilla's equivalent of the Hanged Man - the Two of Cups, and the Knave (page) of Cups reversed.  I'm not great with French, but with the help of an online translator and the accompanying booklet, I believe the keywords are 'prudence', 'love', and 'fondness'.  Prudence is about doing or saying the right thing at the right time: nothing hasty or rushed here.  The cards seem to be calling for prudence in love; a passionate relationship that fades to a fondness and familiarity - as most people in a long-term relationship will attest, this is the way things go.  It's impossible to be in such an intense emotional state 24/7, but it's sometimes difficult to accept that the honeymoon phase is past, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

For my Lenormand pair, I once again used the Astrological Lenormand, I think it matches nicely with the feel of the Book of Thoth Tarot.  More about love here - Ring + Heart.  A loving commitment.. perhaps my husband making a sweet promise in love?  I guess today is the day to ask for him to cook dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment